THE KANYE WEST DONDA LOWDOWN
Yeezy season approaching. Kanye West's 10th studio album Donda, named after his late mother, has been set to arrive for a year. The album was first scheduled for release in July 2020. A year on, West began the rollout for a new Donda album last week in a Beats by Dre ad featuring Sha'Carri Richardson. Then came the listening party. Ten Towers watched the livestreamed listening party on Friday from the Atlanta Mercedes Benz stadium, where West played the album to a sold-out crowd. The artist walked around the floor space in all-red puffer look from his collaboration with Gap, a head covering and neon electric orange Yeezy's. The look is said to have been inspired by 1988 Japanese anime film Akira. Then, the show ended and the album didn't drop. Classic Kanye. Here's what we know:
- The album is set to be released on August 6th, next week. Sources close to Kanye have announced via twitter that the artist is taking his time to 'give his fans the best possible product.'
- Kanye has taken up living at the stadium. Yes, TMZ reported that Kanye felt so inspired from the energy of the crowd on Friday that he wants to stay in the stadium, and has set up living quarters for his team with a private chef to finish the album. Yesterday, the artist was seen running around in the same red outift at an Atlanta United FC football match happening in the stadium. Lol.
- A Watch The Throne reunion happened. Jay-Z featured on the final track of the album, the first time in 10 years that the iconic duo have solely collaborated since their joint album Watch the Throne in 2011. The duo also featured on a Drake song in 2016. In that song that premiered on Friday, Jay can be heard roasting Kanye: “Stop all of that red cap, we going home,” before rapping, "This might be the return of the Throne." And the crowd goes wild.
- Other features included Travis Scott, Pusha T, Lil Baby, Playboi Carti, Roddy Ricch, Lil Durk, Baby Keem and the late Pop Smoke.
- One of the tracks is apparently titled Junya Watanabe, with Kanye repeating "Junya Watanabe on my wri, tell 'em this, did he miss?"
- The red puffer is one of the upcoming colour ways of the Yeezy x Gap collaboration. The high-voltage shoes are the reveal of the Yeezy 1050 boot in orange. There is no release date for the shoes yet.
Now, we wait to see if any of the above still remains on the album.